Hot News

The Temple of Luxor


The Luxor Temple

The  Temple of Luxor (Arabic: معبد الأقصر) is a huge Ancient Egyptian sanctuary complex situated on the east bank of the Nile River in the city today known as Luxor (old Thebes) and was developed roughly 1400 BCE. In the Egyptian language it was known as ipet resyt, "the southern safe-haven".

The Temple of Luxor
The Temple of Luxor

It was one of the two essential sanctuaries on the east bank, the other being Karnak. Unlike different sanctuaries in Thebes, Luxor sanctuary isn't devoted to a clique god or an idolized rendition of the pharaoh in death. All things being equal, Luxor sanctuary is committed to the restoration of majesty; it might have been where large numbers of the pharaohs of Egypt were delegated truly or thoughtfully (as on account of Alexander the Great, who guaranteed he was delegated at Luxor yet might in all likelihood never have voyaged south of Memphis, close to present day Cairo).

To the back of the sanctuary are churches worked by Amenhotep III of the eighteenth Dynasty, and Alexander. Different pieces of the sanctuary were worked by Tutankhamun and Ramesses II. During the Roman period, the sanctuary and its environmental factors were a legionary stronghold and the home of the Roman government nearby. During the Roman period a house of prayer inside the Luxor Temple initially devoted to the goddess Mut was changed into a Tetrarchy clique sanctuary and later into a church.

Alongside the other archeological destinations in Thebes, the Luxor Temple was recorded on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1979.

wath video of Luxor Temple


The Luxor Temple was built with sandstone from the Gebel el-Silsila region, which is situated in South-Western Egypt. This sandstone is alluded to as Nubian sandstone. It was utilized for the development for landmarks in Upper Egypt as well as throughout past and current reclamation works.

Like other Egyptian designs, a typical procedure utilized was imagery, or illusionism. For instance, to the Egyptian, a safe-haven molded like an Anubis jackal was truly Anubis. 

At the Luxor Temple, the two pillars (the more modest one nearer toward the west is presently at the Place de la Concorde in Paris) flanking the entry were not a similar level, but rather they made the deception that they were. With the design of the sanctuary they give off an impression of being of equivalent level, yet utilizing illusionism, it improves the overall distances thus making them look a similar size to the wall behind it. Emblematically, it is a visual and spatial impact to stress the levels and distance from the wall, upgrading the generally existing pathway.


From the Middle Ages, the Muslim populace of Luxor had gotten comfortable and around the sanctuary, at the toward the south finish of the mount. Due to the Luxor's previous city populace expanding on top of and around the Luxor temple, hundreds of years of rubble had collected, to the place where there was a fake slope some 14.5 to 15 meters (48 to 49 ft) in height. 

The Luxor Temple had started to be unearthed by Professor Gaston Maspero after 1884, after he had been allowed to start operations. The unearthings were done irregularly until 1960. Over the long run, gathered trash of the ages had covered 3/4 of the sanctuary which contained the courts and corridors which framed the core of the Arab half of the advanced town. 

Maspero had taken an interest before, and he had assumed control over the post of Mariette Pasha to get done with the task in 1881. In addition to the fact that junk was right there, however there were likewise military enclosure, stores, houses, cottages, pigeon towers, which should have been eliminated to exhume the site. (There actually exists a functioning mosque inside the sanctuary which was rarely eliminated.) Maspero got from the Egyptian pastor of public works the approval expected to get assets to arrange pay for the parcels covered by the houses and conditions.

Road of Sphinxes and Shrine station

The road (known as wi.t ntr "way of god"; طريق الكباش) which went in an orderly fashion for around 2,700 meters (8,900 ft) between the Luxor Temple and the Karnak region was fixed with human-headed sphinxes; in old times it is likely that these supplanted before sphinxes which might have had various heads. 

Six barque places of worship, filling in as way stations for the barques of the divine beings during celebration parades, were set up on the road between the Karnak and Luxor Temple. Along the road the stations were set up for functions, for example, the Feast of Opet which held importance to sanctuary.

Each station had a reason, for instance the fourth station was the station of Kamare, which cooled the paddle of Amun. The Fifth station of Kamare was the station which got the magnificence of Amun. In conclusion the Sixth Station of Kamare was a sanctum for Amun, Holy of Steps.

A little mudbrick hallowed place was underlying the yard of Nectanebo I in early second hundred years (126 CE) and was devoted to Serapis and Isis; it was introduced to Roman Emperor Hadrian on his birthday.

Abu Haggag Mosque

The dynamic Abu Haggag Mosque (مسجد أبو الحجاج بالأقصر) is situated inside the sanctuary, remaining on the old segments themselves. That piece of the Luxor Temple was changed over completely to a congregation by the Romans in 395 AD, and afterward to a mosque in 640, which is over 3,400 years of ceaseless strict worship. 

the temple of luxor
Abu haggag mosque

Hence, the Luxor Temple is the most established working on the planet unquestionably somewhat dynamic for other than archeological or vacationer purposes.